Friday 13 June 2014

HashtagGH.

What is the best time to sneak back into the blogging world? *side whisper* During the World Cup. Yes, World Cup season is perfect! I would sneak in like I never left. Everybody’s attention is football, fine men, fine women in the stands and the riveting goals. Besides I am no longer Queen Bee, no control whatsoever the TV and its remote. No excuse not to blog. 

Before I go all in, join me in a quick prayer. I cast and bind all referees that are similar to the one who officiated the match between Croatia and Brazil. Cast and bind them with their penalties. Ghana is already a very "ahum)br)"
team....we don't need such stress. No can't do. Are we able to toss for our ref's?

Football isn't really my thing… Maybe, if Kim Kardashian-West decides to play then…..who knows? I might pick up a football and pose with it (do not roll your eyes yet!). I don’t support a local team neither do I fuss over the Premier League or La Liga. I, basically, follow because Ghana is playing or Liverpool is on. Liverpool is my husband’s middle name, yes, literally. I swear the whole world; he is the most dramatic Liverpool fan ever! No joke. Sometimes I feel if I am not careful, by the time I walk to the kitchen and back he has entered the television.  But yeah, it’s the World Cup; the Black Stars of Ghana are playing. National pride supersedes my personal likes and dislikes. 
Supersedes everything. I just hope they do not break my heart. My heart is currently reached an inflation rate of 14.8% according to Bank of Ghana. Any more and I must just faint.

Allow me to be sad for a minute, I miss Komla Dumor. This is the World Cup, this is him, this is the time he bleeds Ghana internationally and beautifully. I so remember that interview he conducted then right after he opened his shirt and beneath was the Black Star jersey. I really want to ask him why? Like dial the afterlife and ask him and God....what that was all about?
 For him to pass away, before all this action is simply unreal. I have not adapted to the change and I do not think BBC has adapted to this horrible change as well. Maybe they should employ his brother, those who watched the requiem mass know what I am talking about. The voice, ohhh the voice, the void. Who can change and fill that void on the BBC?

Speaking of change….what has changed since my last post? Initially, I was going to write that nothing had changed because really my lights still go off,  we are still middle income, my road will not be fixed until elections or some big man/woman decides to be awesome, I still buy water that lasts for only three weeks( GHc70 every 3 weeks), the dollar has reached its bluffing point, the Trade Unions still do not have a clue on what to do, the opposition parties want to remain in opposition forever and the President is still going strong in the grey-hair department.  
Snap! Then, I realized that to the contrary, change had happened. Right under my nose, I have accepted this pattern of life.

The lights go off and it is not a big deal, I have accepted that my taps do not flow and might never do, accepted that the cedi will reduce somehow on its own and not due to any spark of brilliance from leadership. I've  even accepted that the World Cup is nothing short of idey bi k3k3 for supporters of the ruling party and whom you know.  I even love the fact that there is an ECG timetable; you should see me busy looking for my neighborhood in the schedule. Looking for highlighters to mark dates. Even the recent floods were acceptable. I was on social media cracking jokes.
Do not shake your head or frown at me. I see you all on social media, I see you with your satirical twists and dry humor. Which is not a bad thing in itself, what else can one do if the lights go off when you are about to blend onions, garlic and green pepper for stew or last minute when you decide to iron a particular shirt? No need crying over that. But we have accepted the pattern of life. I was telling a friend of mine the other day that, we are busy getting annoyed at the rural folk for not voting right but reality is they do not appreciate what is happening. We who understand the hardcore situation are busy-I-do-not-caring our lives here. If we care, we will not throw rubbish into gutters or spit or wee-wee around.

The sad thing is Ghana is not a bad place to be. So much to do, lovely sights and sounds, many amazing  business opportunities if we put our minds and hearts to it. But we do not care and of late I have realized another bane is  most people do not accept correction for things. Everybody knows. It makes you wonder what point they are trying to prove with the mistakes they make. My worry as a young person is apathy. It is becoming fashionable. Recently updated something on Facebook about how some men wee- wee about and the focus shifted to why I said men because women also wee- wee about. Really?! We do not like to stick to the program. But we must still do our bit. I am trying to. I am part of  #HashtagGh.

#HashTagGh, for now, is a social platform where young minds are able to express how they feel about issues. It is not going to be your everyday youth forum. We intend to blow your minds away with discussions, pictures and videos on all topics. You know those topics we discuss in our homes, our offices, our bedrooms (not that), restaurants, pubs, in traffic, on the street….we will bring it to you. 
All we need from you is an open mind and the desire to join the conversation. We want the conservation to be as real as possible. From poor customer service to governance. The biggest youth discussion ever to hit these internet streets.We go live on Monday. I am so excited, I could even forgive the Presidency for the horrible lawn they have in front of the Jubilee House. Maybe, maybe not. 

That said…..Go, Ghana Go and please heavens, let us concentrate on football and not on Pastors and Fetish Priests who need 2 mins of fame.

So do I think Ghana will win the cup?  Do I think we will qualify even beyond the group stages?


Deep breath…see you Monday!

1 comment: