Wednesday 24 July 2013

A Year On.

I count myself very lucky to have friends across the political divide. It is a feat many who love politics have not being able to achieve and I really do not know why. People wake up with soo much loathing for each other, sometimes I am tempted to ask if that loathing makes them richer by the close of the day.
This luck of mine enables me to hear what both sides are really thinking, the kind of thoughts found deep within their hearts but refuse to let out because publicly it must always "idey k3k3 or eshi kukruduu" (and no I do not have CPP, PNC friends) I also get to hear the latest run down and trust me I enjoy it immensely though it is not everything that one can say. But a year ago today, I cursed the person who called me to tell me the President was gone. An hour before it was released to the public, released on social media, released to the entire world I knew the President of the Republic of Ghana was gone (goose-bump moments)and I couldn't tell anyone. I stared at my phone...scrolled to Baby (Patrick's name), Mama (My mother), Papa (My Dad) but I couldn't call. (ummm please that is not the order of importance don't go telling my father if you know him )
I couldn't tell my colleagues so I walked outside and sat in the car. I sat there till I heard the screams from the office.....Everybody run out of my office that day, weeping. I work at close to the 37 Military Hospital so you can imagine the traffic and the sirens. I could bring myself to cry. All I kept saying was "OH professor Mills how".

I never cried. Even today,a year on... I cannot cry because my soul is discontent. I look at his pictures and saw the man he once was and the man he became, I look at the dailies and I see the stories/headlines screaming out loud of people who took advantage of him /his governance and I am hurt beyond measure. For me, the hurt is even more when you listen to his sisters story. Before she left for Cape-coast, she rubbed his neck because he complained of neck pains, and she bought him a neck brace as well. I wondered then and now,where was everyone? Where were his handlers? So if his sister had not come that day, what would have been done to lessen his neck pain? I know all about neck braces because my mother wears one. Two actually...for the the day and one at night. And during her massages at the 37 Military Hospital she was told that neck braces are not bought just like that. Your neck has to be measured and the brace is fitted especially to suit the condition/illness. It is a process....so I am wondering where did she get that brace for him.

A year on what do we have...people falling over themselves in the praise singing, people renaming hockey pitches just to prove some point and what else? Does anyone know how much it cost for the funeral? How much was used and where the balance is or where invoices and receipts are? Does anyone know how much has been got by the one year committee, who sponsored? How much in taxes we contributed? But all must be shelved away along with all the other details. Because nobody will talk, we are just living in the moments. But I have learnt my lesson from the public life of the late prez....when you realise you  have fake friends..don't bother picking up your bag...just run for your life.True or false?

But a year on, we have a royal baby. We cant be too sad, Life must go on. Kate Middleton has given birth to Prince Kwadwo Teletubby Cambridge. Sorry abrokyire celebrities..The Duke and Duchess made complete nonsense of the situation of selling baby pictures. They just walked out of the hospital and gave the world a glimpse of their bundle of joy. Shout-outs to Kim and Kanye, Penelope Cruz and Javier Boudeaux...we still want to see the pictures. Moakye koraa dodo. Better late than never.
But let me address the people who think that some of us are disturbing with our fascination with the monarchs. We have royals in this country don't we and what do they do to keep us in awe? Fight! Fight!Fight! All they do is to fight! About some stool land, who is next in line, some ancient tree here, some gold there or who should throw some food over some stone during a festival. And the calm royals we have who do not fight, they are either poking their nose in politics, collecting cars for votes, publicly supporting a candidate or fighting with some pastor who has says he has seen some vision.
You know that Kwesi Broni hasn't got time for all of that.

Wait there is more...We don't see the wives of the royals when they are pregnant. Customs and tradition you say but what about when the kids are grown. We do not see anything, we do not hear anything, unless the Mirror(on of the national newspapers) on Saturday decides to do a feature. Our royals have money,lands all that it takes to make them admirable because really when the political leaders are doing their awam things...we must have some institution to cheer us on. Otumfuo (the Ashanti King) tries...he plays golf, his wife is fabulous, once in a while you hear of her charity works, Togbe Afede (One of the paramount chiefs in the Volta Region also tries...he is active, he is out there, I do not know his wife and he likes commissioning projects too much. Ah. So yes, the royals in Britain, Qatar, Monaco (another fav of mine), Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Spain will continue to make our day. Their history is soo fabulous...they are all interwined. But come to think of it, we have the same here...Ashanti royal blood mixed with Volta, Dagbon mixed with Fanti or Akyem but we can still sit and say I do not like this tribe. How silly.

So there...I and a few others will fuss over them, we will never meet them but who cares? we don't. WE HAVE A ROYAL BABY...WHOOOO HOOOO ( you should see my silly smile, I am showing all my teeth). My lunch break is done. As usual I am waiting for the comments from my friend/critique Drogba's Hair Gel. That is her name...no please don't ask.

Haha-ha.

P.S. The weather is cloudy. I am sure that is supposed to mean some showers of blessings, but isn't this the typical July rainy weather....shrugs! But I will take it, as long as no one mentions seeing a piteousness of doves around. This weather is darn fine to be called whatever

Peace sign. 

No comments:

Post a Comment